Phase 2 is not chronological – it’s a state of mind. And it’s not limited to Topeka First UMC members! So if our activities are attractive to you, please join us and let us know if you’d like to join our team. We’ll welcome your ideas.
Phase 2 provides programs and activities for those of us transitioning from careers and raising kids to the “next phase” of our lives.
How it began:
- It grew from a group of Topeka First UMC members-Boomers themselves- who recognized our generation’s intention to “redefine retirement.” Phase 2 will focus on our priorities of:
- Doing something “worthwhile”
- Utilizing our experience and expertise effectively
- Offering flexibility in our commitments
- Building and nurturing relationships and friendships.
What we do:
- In polling an initial group of Boomers, we learned their primary interests were: Card/Game groups, Spiritual/Bible studies, Exercise/Health issues, Community Volunteer opportunities, Book Clubs, Travel/Mission trips. Some of these programs already exist, and others will emerge as champions emerge to spearhead a new project. We’re excited to utilize the special talents of our members!
- We also schedule purely fun activities, like dinners and concerts. We’ll also set aside a time each month to just meet for coffee and conversation.
- While Phase 2 was the result of some discussions by a group of Topeka First UMC members, we believe it can be a resource for all Boomers in the Topeka area—not just our church members. Our vision is to be the “go to” resource for Boomers as they explore how to invest their time and energy in this next phase. Most people limit their retirement planning to the financial side and we want to provide relevant programs and activities to make this next phase a truly satisfying and rewarding one.